Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pot-ay-to, Pot-ah-to

I know I'm supposed to be the "Grammar Nazi", but I actually only learned how to spell the plural form of "potato" and "tomato" very recently. I was always confused about whether or not there was an "e" at the end of those words. There isn't. It's just one of those flukes of the English language where you randomly add "es" to make it plural instead of just "s". Is there any reason for this that anyone can see? It doesn't make sense and now every time I have to write "potatoes" it aggravates me and I want to rip the "e" out of there! But I can't because then it won't be right.

Have you ever written a word, and you know it's spelled right, but it just doesn't look right? And you wonder "Whose idea was it to spell it this way anyway?" You know, back in the day, they didn't have set "correct" spellings for all words. They just kinda spelled it however they wanted. There's stuff in the Declaration of Independence that's alllll misspelled, according to todays standards. I would've thought that when they set the "correct" spelling for each word in stone they would've gone with what our founding fathers deemed correct.

And maybe I'm taking this too far, but have you ever just listened to a word as it's coming out your mouth and thought "That's just weird." And the more you say it, the more strange it sounds? Take the word "snack" for example. Say it out loud a few times and listen to yourself. It sounds SO weird to me!!! It's almost like there's an invisible "y" in it when it's said. I have to think somebody giggled over using that word to mean "mini-meal in between 3 basic daily meals". Imagine that at some point in time, someone came up with every word we use and made it mean something. I mean, sure, a lot of our words are derived from Latin and other languages. There are some similarities. But then there are others that are purely American words where someone just spat out some vowel and consonant sounds and said "I think I'll call it... A rock". I dunno. These are just random things I've thought over the past few years.

I really do want to study English. And I really do want to be an editor of some sort. Oh well.. That dream goes back up on the shelf.

No comments: