Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Tormented Soul?

I'm reading 2nd Peter 2 right now for our GIFT study. It's talking about false prophets and deceptions, and the punishment that will come upon those who follow them. Look at this scripture:

" And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly; and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their wicked deeds). "

And I thought about that. Lot - who doesn't seem all that righteous to me (hey the guy offered his virgin daughters to a bunch of lunatics) - was tormented by their wicked deeds - Every day! And it's been said that we're in the end times that will grow worse than Sodom and Gomorrah ever dreamed. How many Christians do you know that are tormented in soul day by day over the wickedness of the world they're in? We've just gotten used to it.. The world "tolerance" is thrown around in every "Christian" circle these days. I love the part of Jordans ringtone that says "Have we no righteousness that reflects on their corruption??". I have to honestly ask myself that. I'm not tormented by the worlds wickedness, I'm entertained by it. I recall this scripture in Romans 1: 28-32..

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but approve of those who practice them."

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong in interpretation of that to say that one is deserving of death if one even approves of those who openly practice such things?? That's rough!! When I think about it, it's not like I'm walking around giving my public approval of those things. But I observe them behind closed doors or in dark movie theatres as though it's nothing. I'm not offended at sin - I'm entertained by it!!!! Even if I'm not participating in the sin itself I'm tantalizing my flesh with it. I've given my stamp of approval whether I realized it or not. Here I am crying out to God, seeking Him, wanting to know His will, wanting to see with His eyes, hear with His ears, and be His hands and feet.. But He can't use anything that is defiled by sin. God is not sitting in heaven being entertained by the murder taking place on the back ally of a dark street. He doesn't think it's dramatic or emotionally moving to see an unwed mother bring forth a child. But I do. Sin has become so rampant that we don't even bat an eyelash at it anymore. We don't flinch at slander, no one knows how to blush anymore. No wonder the church is so corrupted!! When I started being entertained by sin on movies and in TV shows I started excusing it in my life. I became numb to it. He's having to beat me over the head to wake me up now!

Leonard Ravenhill said this "The good is the enemy of the best. Satan won't tempt you to get drunk. He won't tempt you to commit adultery. He'll tempt you to go to the store up the road and listen to some Christian records for a while when you should be making intercession. It's the good that's the enemy of the best in this Christian Life." I'm not saying that every form of entertainment is sinful or "bad". But it's what we substitute it for that hurts us. Jesus had to spend hours in prayer to survive here. They said he would get alone to pray, as was His custom. He did it often. What makes me think that I'm such a "super Christian" that I don't need to do the same?

God, I have to repent!! It's now obvious to me that He hasn't changed the way that I think about sin. If He had then the very thought of sitting down to watch someone murdered, or slandered would disgust me. If I really thought about sin the way that He does then I wouldn't dream of being entertained by it. Lot tormented his soul over seeing and hearing the wickedness of Sodom and Gomorrah, and I see now that he was a lot better off than I am! Even now it's beginning to break my heart.. I want the attitude of Christ Jesus! I want the mind of Christ! I want to desire the things that He desires and hate the things that He hates! And that means that I'm going to have to change every aspect of my lifestyle to accommodate Him. I'm starting to see that I've made a habit out of entertaining my flesh. It's my form of relaxation. I think I have a right to it and I balk when someone tells me I can't relax.. But what better rest is there than in the Spirit?? God break me, change me, make me new!!! Without you I will die! Torment my soul if you must until I am broken over sin, no longer desiring it or anything to do with it!!

No comments: