Thursday, November 09, 2006

Someone please kick me/Favor

I just spent the last hour typing out a word study on "favor" in here. And then I accidentally closed it when I opened up the task manager. I was attempting to close this stupid pop-up we keep getting, and closed this screen instead. Maybe I'll re-type it later..

The reason I was putting it here, and the jist of it was this: Favor in the OT is being found acceptable to God, also it's attaining his grace, or it can even mean "face". Favor is found through righteousness - as is shown by the lives of those in the OT who had the favor of God - or through the seeking of wisdom. In gaurding wisdom to your heart, you gain the favor/grace of God. It is also notable that in some cases, in seeking the favor of God, you seek his face. (You're just gonna have to take my word for it. I had all the strongs definitions, and scriptures to back it up.. it's on blueletterbible)

Favor in the NT only has one meaning. The word is:

Charis - khar-ece 1) grace

a) that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech

2) good will, loving-kindness, favour

a) of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues
3) what is due to grace

a) the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace

b) the token or proof of grace, benefit

1) a gift of grace

2) benefit, bounty

4) thanks, (for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward

We're all familiar with the scripture that says that Jesus "increased in knowledge and stature and gained favour in the sight of God and man" (Luke 2:52).. Notice it says God AND man. So one of the other scriptures that uses this word is Acts 2:46-47, which we are all familiar with:

"And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved."

So.. the way I read that it says that they had house church, were unified and happy, praised God, and showed the merciful kindness of God to the people, exerted His holy influence upon souls, turned them to Christ, kept, strengthened, and increased them in Christian faith, knowledge, and affection, and kindled them to the excercise of Christian virtues. And the Lord added to the church.. Think about what that means for us in the home church. I don't think we have even half that.

The favor of God is like His trademark. It's a stamp He puts upon those whom he approves of. It makes it obvious to everyone who you serve. Think about all the people in the old and new testaments who had the favor of God: Abraham, Moses, Samuel, David, Solomon, Esther, Ruth, Elijah, Daniel, Peter, John, Paul... God's favor was obvious.

It makes me think about where I stand. The thing that got me thinking about this is that I had a job interview today that went very well. I'm going to have a second interview with them next week. It's a very large company and very good position. The fact that they would even consider me is unbelievable. It's apparent that I have favor with these people, and with the placement agency I'm with. But I wonder what that is even worth if I don't have favor with God. Nothing really. Earthly favor with man is temporary and can be taken away or destroyed. But favor with God is invaluable.

The question is, what now must I do? When I really look at my life I can't say that it has such an obvious stamp upon it. I don't measure up the the standard for His favor. Just what does that mean? Where does that put me? Something I don't want to forget is that the favor of God only exists to bring Him more glory. It exists to humble me further. His favor will only rest upon those who are righteous. The only thing righteous in me is Jesus Christ.

So my prayer... purge me of me.

God is always reminding me that I'm just in the beginning. Once again, I marvel at how far I have to go, and i'm in awe of His mercy that would allow me to dwell with Him even now, in my unperfected state.

No comments: