Friday, January 12, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things!



My Top 15 Favorite Places to Go
From start to finish


1. The State Capitol Parks. When we were little we used to go there all the time. We'd take our bikes and zoom down the hills. We'd ruin our favorite shirts rolling down them and attempting to use the steep ones as slides. That place holds some of my fondest memories. I like to take kids there and roll down the hills again. When I need to think, there's nothing better than sitting on the hill next to the Arsenal and looking out over the lake. I love it.

2. The Paperclips and surrounding fountains. Also known as the levee. Again these were my childhood stomping grounds. I learned to skip rocks on the banks of the Mississippi. We used to spit into the wind and watch it land in the river. There are countless memories there.

3. LASM. It used to be "LASC". We had a membership there when I was little. We would go every first Sunday of the month, when it was free. We'd get lunch at Capital Grocery, and Poppie would tell us stories of when he used to live downtown. It's changed so much now, but I still love going there.

4. My Gramma's house. I'm so relieved she decided not to move out after Grampa died. That house has the best memories. I think the thing that I love most about it though is the familiar way it smells.

5. My closet when I'm upset. I used to hide there every time I was upset and I didn't want anybody to hear me. I had it all set up in the very back where I could hide behind my sunday dresses on a toy box covered with spare blankets. When we moved that was one of the things I missed the most. I couldn't really hide in my new closet. I did figure out how to close myself in there though.

6. Bob and Sharons' I love ya'lls house. But more for the people in it than the surroundings themselves.

7. My sisters' house in Mobile. She's got the coolest upstairs apartment. But again I love it more for the company than the house itself. Wherever she lives her house always has a distinct "Joy" smell that's comforting.

8. The Ditch. Really it's a canal.. The deep one at the end of the neighborhood.. I'm not even going to bother explaining this one.

9. Port Hudson. We would go a lot when I was little and throw paper airplanes off the fire towers. They would land on the ground nose down and stick straight into the ground. I wanna go again. Anyone wanna go with me?

10. Tunica Hills. We go every year. Again there are many memories there.

11. St. Charles St Trolley at Christmas. We used to go every year and look at Christmas lights on all the old homes. We'll go back next year.

12. To Chili's with all my friends. You all know why. We need another Chili's excursion.. and that's exactly what it is with all you guys!

13. Anywhere that there's a group of us playing games.

14. A library. It doesn't really matter which one. I love the smell of the books. It's good to just go and read in a library every now and then.

15. The Baker Little league pond. We used to go all the time as kids to feed the ducks and play in the fountain.

No comments: