Thursday, August 23, 2007

Much More is Required than I Realized

How many times have we heard the phrase "To whom much is given, much is required."?? It's often quoted among our circle of friends. Countless times that phrase has challenged me to step up to the plate and share what the Lord has given to me. But I read it for the first time in context today. I've probably read it many times before, but today, the Word became Life - at least I pray it does.

"But if that servant says in his heart 'My master is delaying His coming,'... The master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. And that servant who knew his masters will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more."

(Luke 12:45-48)

Wow. The servant who knows His masters will, and did not do will not only be beaten with many stripes, but it says there will be cut in two and be appointed a portion with the unbelievers. That's some pretty serious judgment. This is further evidence that He truly will judge us by what we don't do. I really don't have an excuse! There are enough bible's in America for every person to own three. The average American Christian has at least 4 of them in various translations. We have the truth! All we have to do is open the word to just about any part and we see Him calling us upward to live in holiness, righteousness, steadfastness and faithfulness. That's all He's wanted from the very beginning! We read in Hosea a while back, "I will betroth her to Me forever, Yes I will betroth you to Me in righteousness, and justice, in loving-kindness and mercy, I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness, and you shall know the Lord." (Hosea 2:19-20) His desire for His bride hasn't changed one bit! He'll do whatever it takes to have a pure people and a pure church who will do His will and not in any way their own! He wants faithfulness.. And I sit there on Sunday mornings and talk about it and sing about it and read about it over and over and over again! He shouldn't have to say it more than once! We're heaping judgment on ourselves if we know the truth and don't do it! Len Ravenhill said this:

"Why should I preach to you? God knows I'm adding condemnation to you tonight. You can't handle the truth you've already got - some of you have had it for 5 or 10 years and can't handle it! Why should I bring you more truth, Why should I bring you the challenge to have a spirit filled life? Out of your inmost being - where He is present - should flow rivers of living water, not trickles! RIVERS of living water! Rivers of compassion that will melt your eyes to tears, rivers of love that will make you go to the most perverted and crooked people."

Y'all, it's breaking my heart!!! Here I am, I have the truth - I've even boasted about it - It's staring me in the face. I have so much more than the early church ever thought about having - all of the epistles, the law and instructions of God in one complete volume! So much more has been given than I ever dreamed I had! I always used to think when I heard that phrase "Well, God hasn't really given me that much yet, I'm not worthy of very much, and I haven't been very faithful with the little that I have.." NO WAY! That was a cop-out because I didn't want to be responsible for all that was required of me! My God, repeal the judgment that I've brought on myself from my laziness! Break me on the rock that I may not be crushed! I want to obey you!

We read something in Luke 13 yesterday that struck me. Verses 23-24, "Then one said to Him (Jesus), 'Lord are there few who are saved?' And He said to them, 'Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you will seek to enter and will not be able." It says strive to enter the narrow gate. Strive is defined: to try hard to get or achieve something; to fight in opposition to something (our flesh!); to compete resolutely against somebody or something. So we are to fight in opposition to our flesh to be able to enter through the narrow gate. It will really cost us something, just as the bible says it will! It also says in that verse that many will seek to enter and will not be able. It's not enough to just want to. It's not enough to say "I'm seeking". I must actually do it. I must actually obey the truth that I've heard for so long! The call has gone out to prepare yourself - for His coming, for the judgment. The call has gone out to those who know His will to do it. He isn't worthy of anything less! But much more than that, He won't accept anything less... He has been merciful this far, but how long will He remain so? How long before He refuses to let us enter in because we didn't persevere to enter through the narrow way?

Let the cry go out for mercy and strength to OBEY!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Sure you can take one for your desktop :-D

I have the purple/blue one as my desktop

Anonymous said...

That's really good Bekah!