Tuesday, September 19, 2006

In appreciation

Most of you should know that I have 4 older sisters. The next one older being 27 - there's a 10 year gap. The only ones I talk to on a regular basis (about once every two weeks or so) are the two oldest - Joy (the oldest, my mothers daughter) and Sarah (my dad's oldest daughter). Both of them have a kid.. I don't know if that has anything to do with them actually wanting to associate themselves with us. But I was thinking about them today, and the way that they've influenced me.

They were both out of the house by the time I was 6 or 7, so I have very few young memories of them except when they came to visit. They moved away quickly.. as in, to other states. I wouldn't talk to them or see them for months. It's only been much more recently that I've begun to pursue a relationship with them. Sarah comes to stay with us for about 2 weeks out of each year, or vice-versa. She's just bundles of fun. She has inspired our love for old movies and my love for good old music. She loves art and foreign languages. She's studied Arabic and is currently studying Russian, just for fun. I love hanging out with her. I wish I could just drop everything and go stay with her for a week.

Then there's Joy. Joy lives about 3 hours away in Mobile.. She's got a very boisterous laugh. And she laughs very easily. It's fun to sit there and exchange stupid stories about momma and Poppy... She's very smart too. I love calling her to ask for a recipe or what-not. She always has great ideas! She's very easy to talk with. When you tell her something, she always has a response, so phone conversations are never awkward. One of the things I love about Joy, have always loved, is her femininity. She almost always looks gorgeous. She's always wearing skirts and pretty shoes, and I can't recall a recent time I've seen her in a t-shirt. I love that!! Even when she's just goin' to the store she's in a casual skirt and shirt. Actually, casual for Joy is most peoples' "dressed up". She inspired me to go out and buy a skirt and blouse today. I love feeling girly!

I really do love my sisters very much. I wish they didn't live so far away. If it were up to me, I'd drop everything and drive over to Mobile this weekend and stay with Joy just to give her and Charles a night away from the baby. But It'll have to wait. That's okay.. she'll be here in a couple weeks for Momma's birthday! And everyone might come for Thanksgiving. I'm excited just thinking about it!

No comments: