Sunday, December 03, 2006

Under the same sky


Jordan and I just spent the last hour and half bundled on the hood of her car. We ventured down a moonlit road where there was no sign of civilzation except for the cows we later discovered in the distance. As we sat on the edge of an open field with a leafless tree in the center of it... we prayed.. I'm still recovering from the chill despite all the clothes and blankets.

There was a sparkling coat of frost dusting everything around us. As we first stepped out of the car we met with the strong musk of fresh hay. There was a rustling of leaves across the street. But we decided to ignore it and drown it out with the "Watching the stars worship" CD we made. We began to pray. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I can tell you perfectly what the surroundings were like, but I cannot come up with even a word to describe the next hour. It was unlike any prayer meeting I've ever been in. There is not a word to describe it.

We finally laid back to stare at the night sky. As I gazed aimlessly the thought ocurred to me that this was the same night sky the the prophets stared into. Under this sky Abraham was told that his descendents would outnumber the stars. Under this sky Moses and the Israelites escaped Egypt led by a pillar of fire. This is the same moon that David wrote Psalms about. Under this sky our Lord prayed and taught his disciples. Surely they stared into the same moon, marveling at the wonder of our Gods' creation. For breif moments it was as if there was no time. I don't know how but it made the distant stories I've heard all my life so real, even tangible. It didn't matter that these things happened on opposite hemispheres... How amazing to stare into the same moon that my Saviour once looked into?

What a priveledge to be counted as a descendent of Abraham. For Him.. every star was a promise... Every star a promise of God..

No comments: